Friday, October 23, 2009

A True Champion for Disabled Americans...

After posting the "Charlatan" post yesterday, I remembered someone that I would consider a REAL champion for those individuals who are disabled. This is not some random new headline I picked up by browsing the internet for hours, or some deliberate attempt to make a point on my part. The reason I know about this story is:

1. I emphatically watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
2. I used to go out to lunch at a small Indian restaurant on Manchester (Hwy 100) where this man's life work take place.
3. I believe in this man's cause enough to be a patron of his establishment.



The man's name is Sam Malek. Mr. Malek was born in 1963 in Cairo, Egypt with cerebral palsy. He emigrated to the United states with his father at the age of 5, and moved directly to the St. Louis area under a sponsorship from the Shriner's Hospital for Children, arranged by Sam's uncle. He has lived in the St Louis area for over 40 years, and in this amount of time, he has truly made the best of his disability in every way.

I came to know of this man in a very strange twist of fate when I went to lunch with some co-workers. We took our time eating and noticed this very small drive-thru coffee shop in the parking lot. It didn't take up alot of real estate, but it was noticeable enough. Also, of notice was the cross in the shop's sign, which showed the shop was called "More Than Coffee" (The "T" was fashioned into a cross). My co-workers, and myself (though I am ashamed to say this) made some rather sarcastic comments about what else would be served other than coffee. Unknown to us, the purpose behind this, we assumed a Bible verse on the lid... or a Psalm on the coffee sleeve.

As a Christian (a label that recently has come to be frowned upon in modern society for some unknown reason), I am truly ashamed that I made these comments, but I am also honest enough to own up to my faults. The very next week, I watched an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition in which a kind-hearted family in the St. Louis area's home was rebuilt to meet their needs. I love these stories, as it is nice to see unselfish people get rewarded. Along with the home, the very same coffee shop was being remodeled. I didn't know this at first, because the episode had already been filmed prior to me seeing this shop at the first time, so I was amazed at what this man accomplished (I'll cover this in a minute.. but first...) and happy he was getting this meaningful change to his lifestyle. And then the famous reveal... the Move that Bus! moment that everyone who has watched this show has witnessed.... Low and behold.. it was the coffee shop. The very one I had mocked. God was showing me how I had been ignorant... and I guess my friends felt the same way... because the next day we went and got coffee. I met this man.. this true hero....



Mr. Malek owns this coffee shop, and he uses it as a place to assist disabled workers to learn how to move on to better jobs and improve their lives. He helps these people despite his own disability. Does he ask for anything in return?  Here's some quotes from him specifically:

Without the customer, I can’t do what I do. That’s what it’s all about—helping people.


When you deal with people who have a disability, it’s all about adapting. The whole concept is to make it as independent as humanly possible. To give them a sense of self-esteem, self-worth.

I get customers all the time with little kids who see my crutches and ask, “Why do you have those?” The parents are like, “Shush shush!” And I’m like, “Don’t do that!” I answer them very simply: “My legs don’t work as well as yours. I need a little help.”



Children have to accept people for their differences. And if you teach them, you can impact them because they’re young. The parents, I can’t change their mind-set. We can make them think, but they’ve gotta make the choices to change.

I’ve had people order seven snow cones. And the kids are like, “How are you gonna make them?” And I’m like, “OK, open the door, come on in here and watch me make the snow cones.”


You will never outdo the good Lord’s generosity. That’s the way I function, and that’s what it’s all about.

This man is someone who I admire. Someone who does not complain about the life that has been given to him. He does not talk about how hard it is on him... he helps people... he embodies what I believe a TRUE Christian should be...

If others were a little more like this man... and a little less like most... the entire world would be a much better place. Please visit his coffe shop, or his website whenever you get the chance.

Also remember... this is what it means to be a champion of the disabled... not complaining about how difficult it is... not berating people for the words they choose... when life gives you lemons... sell them to others and use the money to buy the entire community some lemonade...

More Than Coffee

2 comments:

  1. Whew...now that I stopped sobbing like a baby I can tell you this story is absolutely heart warming. Thank you so much for sharing and keep up the good work Mr. Malek. YOU are a "true" Christian and hero to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a little sub-post to share. When I was asked to verify my first post, the word I had to re-type was HEALING! Pretty awesome I think :-) Your post is VERY healing to many folks today.

    ReplyDelete